Thursday, June 16, 2005

REVIEW: Batman Begins


Batman
Originally uploaded by genzod.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Maybe I'm still punch drunk from seeing it for the first time, but all I can say is wow. I don't even think I can get my head around how much fun this movie was for me.

I read Batman comics heavily in the 80's, and I haven't really kept up with him since then, but this was the Batman I liked to read. My favorite comic cover was Batman slapping Superman in the face as he quits the Justice League for being too soft on criminals. This movie is that Batman. A man who is tortured by his own inner demons. He becomes a hero because of will alone. And who has not had a time in their lives where they wanted to make a difference or right a wrong. I think this is what has kept the character of Batman alive all these years. You fight with him and not watch him from afar.

Director Christopher Nolan and writer David S. (Blade) Goyer have not only made a great Superhero film, but just a plain great film. I've read some not so nice reviews that say the film is really two different films split into two. I disagree. The first half of the film gives birth to the second half. They are different and sure there are some nitpicky things here and there, but they are indeed minor distractions and complement each other perfectly.

One of the things I liked the most was the notion of Batman not against just one villain but that the whole city of Gotham was the villain collectively. Bruce Wayne's father created Gotham and his son is left to become the keeper of his creation. He may have to dress up like a bat to do it, but whatever it takes to keep his father's dreams alive he will do it. It's a very beautifully character driven film. Yes its soaked in metaphors and philosophy lessons, but that's what's fun about this film in addition to its visual grace.

The only thing I didn't care for in the film casting wise was Katie Holmes. I didn't mind her character so much as I did her in that role. She seems too young to be a major DA in a big city. And I'm not just dissing her because she is building a space ship with Tom to get back to Planet L-Ron. She is at her best in Pieces of April, but out of place here. Christian Bale is superb as Batman but not as cool as Keaton was as Bruce Wayne. His Wayne needs a bit of work, but his Batman is perfect. And that's what counts!

Batman Begins is the best film of the summer so far. I don't see much coming close. In fact I feel sorry for the Fantastic Four, because there is no way that film can fill these shoes in two weeks time. I hope Nolan stays on this franchise and instills it with even more character and care. Who knows maybe one day I'll live to see that Comic book cover come to life where Batman and Superman get into it not over whose more super but who cares more about the people. Wow. When is the next showing?

No comments: