Monday, August 15, 2005

Fin

Most people that know me, know that I am a pretty die hard Houston Rockets fan. However about 8 years ago I started lighty treading in Dallas Mavericks water. The reason I started watching the Mavericks was because I used to be a closet Suns fan, and there was this rookie named Michael Finley that I really dug. Then all of a sudden he was traded to Dallas for Jason Kidd. I watched as Michael Finley put this entire franchise on his back for years and years. Then he got some help. Coach Don Nelson brought in some lanky German named Nowitski and some other little punk named Nash. Then things got better, then the best thing to hapen to Mavs in the team's history happened... Marc Cuban. The "Big 3" as they were called made it to within one game of the NBA Finals, but Dirk went down in the final game and the old Spurs were just too much. Every year since then the Mavs have been trying to get back there. The rookie Finley is like me now in his 30's. His body and speed were not what they used to be. (Oh how I used to love the violence of his slams. They were so sick.) So after getting a huge contract to thank him for all the lean years, he is now on the verge of being let go or traded, not due to his skills more so than his salary. The new Collective bargaining Agreement has a clause in it that allows a team to dump one contract that they will have to pay tax on. By waving Fin the Mavs save 51 million bux. Fin still gets paid his cash, but the team doesn't have to pay the additional 50 million in tax.

Finley has long been one of my favorite players, and he will continue to be no matter what team he plays for next season. Personally I hope he returns to PHX to play alongside his buddy Steve Nash. Or if he really wants to make me happy then he can sign with the Rockets. (unless they can initiate a trade before midnight tonight) How awesome a Finley red Rockets jersey would be is beyond my wildest imagination... A lot of pro athletes are brash and unprofessional. Not Fin. You never hear him complain in the press. He is a very private and compassionate person who spends his summers helping out others less fortunate in Chicago and Dallas. He is the Mavericks captain and always will be. In two years the Mavs are allowed to re-sign him and I hope they make all attempts to do so. I look forward to the day I can look into the rafters at the AAC and see the number 4 jersey riding high. Mike made me a Mavs fan.

And also just as a side note, I give props to my lady Amy and the guy who two-way'd my friend Tahiti at a game once and told us that Billy Ocean needed to drive it to the hole more in the game we were watching. The image you see above is actually Billy Ocean not Fin. Amazing resemblence! And to all you local so called "sports critics", and in particular a large overweight one that I used to work with, you got your wish, now shut the F up, and grab some more donuts. I'll probably go to a lot less Mavs games than I used to, but count me in for Fin's return!!!

Good luck Fin, wherever you may end up!

Great article in the Dallas Morning News:

Finley Article

No comments: