Friday, March 23, 2007

REVIEW: ROCKY BALBOA


Watched "Rocky Balboa" last night. I must say this film really worked for me. Sure it had its flaws, but I got so charmed by the Rocky character again, I didn't care where it went. It's one of those rare sequels that actually takes you back in time to where you remember where you were when you saw the originals. It’s really like seeing an old buddy and catching up on what they have been up to for the past 20 years or so. In fact I had a blast with the first half of the movie. The fight seemed like a throw away to me. It was not even that important to me. I was more interested in how Rocky dealt with the rest of his life and those around him. In fact if I had to watch it again I would probably watch the first half and then shut it off. Stallone's directing was loose and free and really felt indie like the first film did. It didn't ever feel like a blockbuster movie trying to impress you with its scope. The real locations and energy of the street helped out a lot in it feeling real to me. So if you'd like to visit an old friend you can't go wrong with Rocky VI aka Rocky Balboa. Hey yo Paulie.

No comments: