Saturday, February 16, 2008

Review: There Will Be Blood


Daniel Day Lewis is a BADASS. He owns this movie. At no point did I ever say to myself, I'm watching Daniel Day Lewis. The guy just transforms himself into his character of Daniel Plainview an oilman of the early 1900's oil boom in America. A story about family, greed, religion, and oil, centered around a turn-of-the-century prospector in the early days of the business.

This film besides King of Kong is one of my favs for 07. PT Anderson is a favorite director of mine ever since Hard Eight and Boogie Nights. Here he continues his growth as a storyteller and a director. The supporting cast is nothing short of great. This movie feels real. The photography and the music are spot on. The score by Jonny Greenwood is much like the Shining. Yes the score is almost anti-score, like shrieks and howls. Very moving. I would put this movie in the all time classic category if not for the very predictable ending, which is sad considering the build up of the last 2 hours. Although I enjoyed seeing what happened to these characters in the future I didn't like leaving them in the present. I didn't like being ripped from that world and thrown into the future.

And my favorite part of the film was Dillon Freasier's portrail of Plainview's son, HW Plainview. HW is only about 6 or 7 years old but goes everywhere with his dad, even to meetings. And once you see this movie you will want HW to be in every meeting you;ve ever had. He is that cool.



A truly great film that belongs in the upper tier of classics. A true film in every respect, the kind that people discuss for years. This is truly one film experience you will never forget on the big screen.

No comments: