Saturday, September 10, 2005

Thoughts on Oliver Stone's Alexander


This was really hard to get through. I started it at about 1230pm, and got through with it at 5:30. Not Stone's most focused work. Adventurous ideas and canvas he is working with, but it didn't go far enough in one direction or the other. I'll have to go back and read my history books again but when did Alexander have an Irish accent? Maybe instead of Zeus his father was in fact the Lucky Charms God. This was a tall hill to climb as a viewer and I did listen to Stone's commentary toward the end of the film, and it sounds like he really respected what Alexander accomplished in his short 33 year life, but while watching the film you don't really ever feel any compassion for him or a dislike for that matter. Maybe Stone sees himself in Alexander and somehow thought it would be cool to make a movie about a tyrant who really cares about the people at the end of the day. Guess we will never know. I didn't think it was as bad as people said, just unfocused. I loved the big pageantry scenes though, and loved the score by Vangelis. Good gory battles too.

No comments: