Sunday, November 06, 2005

Grandpa, and the Return to the Fortress...


Well, way back many years ago, I went out to my Grandfathers farm to be with my Grandfather and write stories. In fact the last thing I wrote out there was a story called "Seventy-8". I had hoped to return there a little over a year ago to write something new. The Farm has always been my place of refuge. My Fortress of Solitude if you will. My Zen place. However, the week before my trip to the Farm a year or so ago, my Grandfather fell very ill and was in the hospital for almost a year. It became apparent that he could no longer stay out in the country by himself. He now resides here in Ft. Worth with my aunt and cousin and is doing really great at the young age of 91. My father takes him out to the farm almost weekly, however I'm always working now and I'm never available to go during the work week.



Well this Sunday I returned to the fortress. And I just had to stop and write about how great it was to be back out on the farm. My grandfather, my Dad, and my Aunt Sandy all drove out to Lipan and rebuilt the water well house. My Grandfather built it about 20 years ago. In fact I still remember him building it. But time has worn it down and it needed an over haul and we rebuilt in a day. My grandfather sat back and watched us for 6 hours as we rebuilt the entire thing. He even helped out by telling us where all the different sizes of wood were stored in the barn. Amazing that he can remember all that stuff. He even knew where to fin d all the tools, and whenever we asked him where something was, he took us right to it. I hope I'm that sharp at 91. He even went into the house to call his girlfriends after lunch. Big pimpin' he is still.



But more than anything this trip gave me a chance to go back to the farm and have three generations of Clapp's work on building something that perhaps will outlast all of us. It was a really great feeling to again be with my Dad and Grandpa on the farm. I felt so at ease and peaceful out there. I had no worries about the deadlines I am facing today at work. It's amazing how being out there washes away every worry you have. Wow. However, like clock work my allergies are in full swing today at work. That's my only problem of going out there is the next day I suffer. Oh well. And speaking of that, I took some pictures of the well house we built for it, but I won't be able to post those until later this evening. I also made a point to take some photos of my Grandpa that I think came out really nice. I'll post some of those as well. It was odd to see my grandpa's house rather barren inside. My Aunt has been cleaning it out recently. It feels so emotionally cold in there. But I guess all good things, well you know the rest. I really must go to the Fortress more often... and Grandpas are friggin' cool.


No comments: