Saturday, November 05, 2005

Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting


Saturday night was a big night. A big night if you're a Mavericks fan that is. As I've said before, I don't know who this new mavs team is yet. They don't have a real identity yet, since Captain Michael Finley and Don Nelson moved on. Finley signs with the Spurs, and Don Nelson is on the beach somewhere in Hawaii counting his millions. Well Saturday night myself and two car loads of Amy's family (many who are Spurs fans) drove the AAC to watch the Mavs take on the Spurs. This was Finley's first game against the Mavs as a Spur, and not only was it a sad night for me as a Finley fan, but it also turned out to be not the end of an era but the beginning of a new one. In case you missed it, The Mavs dominated the world champs and beat em by almost twenty. Finley received a standing ovation from the crowd, then it was down to business. Dirk was on. Josh was on. Stack sat. They were up most of the game. Then Tony Parker got red hot for the Spurs. I was losing faith quickly.

Then when things were looking to turn nasty as a 20 point lead went down to 10, Devin Harris entered the game. He was the rookie heir to Nash last year, but had a troublesome rookie season. Mind you Devin's career high was 17 I think. He scored 20 in the fourth quarter, and finished with 22 total. He dished, He slashed, he drove, and he looked incredible. The whole arena saddened by the presence of Fin in black was floored by Devin. I got to see Devin in several summer games before his rookie year started and I was sold. (See picture of my Amy with Devin and Marquis below) I knew he had something special, but last year he made mistake after mistake on the floor and didn't get much playing time as a result. Saturday night should change that. Finley was bad. He played 30 minutes or more and had a pathetic 2 points. I felt as if I was watching the epilogue to a story I began following 8 years ago. Going to the game I was sure of three things, 1. Finley would go off for 40 or more, 2. The Spurs would destroy all signs of life left in the Dallas team, and 3. I would be devastated leaving the game. Well none of that happened. In fact I'm glad it didn't. True I will always be a Finley supporter, but that team is officially gone. Devin and Dirk proved me wrong and I hope they continue to do so. That was a fun game and one I'll always remember as being the beginning of something new. Go Mavs! Check out Amy and Devin.... We are fans of the Devinist.

No comments: