Sunday, July 01, 2007

Two Films that should be on my top 15 list!

There are two films that I recently forgot to put on my top 15 list. Maybe I should of just done a top 20! Anyway I don't know where these guys rank, but i think it a crime not to include George Pal's film adaptation of H.G. Wells The Time Machine and David Lean's epic Lawrence of Arabia. I feel horrible that these two are not on my list. How in the world I forgot them is bad on my part. Especially The Time Machine!!! Lawrence is somewhere in the top 15 or 20, but Time Machine is no doubt in my top 10. My bad.



The Time Machine (1960)
Directed by George Pal.

My name is Weena. I first had the kids record story album of this tale. The B side had War of the Worlds. I was fascinated with the concept of time travel as a kid. Then one day I saw the greatness of the 1960 movie version. I love this movie. I feel like a kid again when I see it. It's my Wizard of Oz I guess. To top it off it's a smart film, and a warning about the dangers of technology and the misuse of it. It's not as faithful to the novel as I remember but it is its own entity. As I write this it is playing on HDNET Movies channel. And it looks better than ever. Sure the Morlock are a bit cheesy looking, but its the mood and the journey of the main character that lingers with me.




Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Directed by David Lean

Only one word describes this movie: EPIC. I'm not a big fan of Epic movies at all. They are usually all spectacle and no heart, but I do admire this one. David Lean's visuals are insane. The photography is nothing short of breathtaking. The story is also epic in its nature and melds wonderfully with the visuals. Its a match in every respect. At time sit feels like a big budget art film, and maybe that's why it sorta draws me to it. The characters are indeed flawed in this huge desert landscape. I can imagine that to make this film today would cost 300 million and all the great shots would be CG ass. This is 100% celluloid love. I cannot wait till this shows on HDNET or comes out on Blu-Ray.

No comments: