Friday, December 30, 2005

REVIEW: Gus Van Sant's Last Days

I watched director Gus Van Sant's latest film Last Days about Kurt Cobain's final hours. And I was warned by Jason not to watch it, but I did anyway cause I like Van Sant's stuff. Recently Van Sant has started making art films again and although I hated "Gerry" I loved "Elephant". "Last Days" is another matter. I had seen it on a few peoples best of the year lists as a misunderstood masterpiece. So I gave in and checked it out. Jason was right. It just sits there. It does nothing. For me at least. Whatever Cobain's genius was, it's not found here that's for sure. The movie sucks. Whoever thinks this is a masterpiece is smoking too much of whatever Van Sant is smoking in downtown Portland, Oregon. Now don't get me wrong I love Van Sant. I even kinda like his shot for shot remake of Pyscho, but its time to reel it in Gus. For real. Your style is cool, but your storytelling is tedious and a "beating" to get through at the moment. I know what he's trying to do, but he can do it better.

No comments: