Wednesday, December 28, 2005

REVIEW: King Kong '05


The first movie my folks ever took me to see was King Kong with Jeff "The Dude" Bridges. So in 2005 I took my parents to see King Kong 2005. It was a real special night with my folks and Amy in tow. I was preparred to be wowed like the kid I was in 1976.
Peter Jackson hit a home run with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Can he do it again. Not really. I'm not comparing the two movies by any means. But its hard to live up to that last feat. Hopefully that won't haunt his career. I really wish he had made Lovely Bones first. A more Heavenly Creatures movie first before getting back into Lucasville antics.
The movie is really more of a loving tribute to the original 30's Kong. And I liked that, but I think it was too thick in places for me. I never felt like I was watching a solid movie about a monster. And anyone who knows me, knows I love a good monster movie. I had the same problem with this movie that I had with Godzilla:Final Wars this year. These are tribute films, not straight forward films. They don't take the subject matter seriously. Which shocked me considering how much love Jackson puts into his films. Sure Kong is great and is fully realized, but I always felt Jackson winking to me from behind the green screen. It was a fun ride like Jurassic Park, but nothing more for me. I'm about to re-watch Godzilla Final Wars this week, so maybe my reaction will change on a 2nd viewing. I will say this, the ending on top of the Empire State building is one of the most beautifully shot and put together pieces of film in a long while. Worth the price just for that scene alone.

No comments: