Saturday, April 07, 2007

The Good Friday Film Festival Part 2

The film festival took an ugly turn in the afternoon... I had Lucio Fulci's last film he made in 1990 collecting dust on my shelf for quite some time. I had heard it was bad, and that was being kind. In southeast Sicily, a team of archaeologists investigate the ruins of a crypt where heretic nuns had been stoned and crucified by the village people in the 16th century. Soon strange things begin to happen, and Liza, one of the team members, starts to have surreal dreams about the nuns. Then the graphic violence begins, starting with a decapitation! The answers lie in the ancient crypt of the nuns.. There was an odd scene of a guy tied to two trees that was split in half when the trees fell in different directions.



I like Fulci, I even bought a huge book on his works. Bad performances abound along with the worst dubbing i may have ever seen. Dario Argento is the number one Italian master of horror, and Fulci is a close second. The thing I like about Fulci is the mood he sets with his films. They are eerie and nightmarish. You feel dirty after watching one his films. However for every good film there seems to be about four or five bad ones.



Amy and I watched Dog Day Afternoon this morning on HDNet. Pacino and Lumet. Lightning in a bottle. I'm not going to talk about the genius of this movie, it is already known. The film looks amazing in HD. It looks like it was made yesterday.Too bad they can't clone Sidney Lumet so he can keep making movies forever. I'm about halfway through watching Neil Simon's Plaza Suite with Walter Matthau. I thought it was a comedy, boy am I surprised...

No comments: