Friday, September 07, 2007

The Coolest Movie News Ever?


Today a story broke out in the showbiz trades that Tobey McGuire's production company had acquired the rights to my favorite geek robot show of all time, Robotech. People have asked me if you could do a big budget movie what would you do? I always dreamed of seeing a Robotech live action movie. I guess I'll never get to make that, but Spidey will. Tobey plans to play the title character Rick Hunter. (can't see that one yet) Robotech blows Transformers away in every respect, most notably in story. Robotech had a very distinct story at it's core, and it took three years (seasons) to tell it through three generations. I would skip school to watch this show sometimes. I don't know how well its story will hold up today and I'm sure they will muck it up somehow, but Tobey was quoted as saying that the story is long enough to sustain a long series. It's an epic story and not a weekly toy commercial. but thanks to the Transformers success, it looks as though the giant robot movies are coming. Voltron is also announced as well. What about Starblazers???? I want to experience the wave motion gun in THX in my lifetime.

No comments: