Wednesday, October 01, 2008

REVIEW: Iron Man


The movie, Iron Man came out yesterday on DVD/Blu, and I finally got a chance to check it out after missing it this summer. Iron Man was one of those comics I never read at all. I think my introduction to Iron Man was probably cartoons. So going into it, I really have no attachments as to what was correct or incorrect in accordance with the comics. having said that I think that made me like film that much more.

In the first of many adventures, weapons and tech billionaire Tony Stark is the victim of his own weapons programs. He escapes his captives by building an iron suit then has a change of heart about where his weapons are going to and how they are being used. He begins work on a high tech suit that will fight against the world he helped to pollute. Iron man was always somewhat derivative of Batman to me, but here director Jon Favreau sets things in reality and makes the character of Tony Stark seem like a real person. Robert Downy Jr. does a great Tony Stark. He's arrogant and reckless. Even in his tests on the suit he is willing to almost kill himself to get that suit working right. The only thing in the movie that asks you to suspend your disbelieve is the level of tech he posses. But that's all fun and geeky.

Some faults I did have with the movie... I thought Tony should have had more tragedy as a result of his weapons than what happened. And I don't mean to innocent every day people but to himself. It just kind of seemed like he got captured, got a private cell, and got to make a robot, then busted out and was all mad cause they killed some dude he spent a few weeks with. But that's a minor quip. I thought Gweneth Paltrow was fine, but nothing great. I think they could have cast someone more feisty. She seems like a push over. Jeff Bridges and Terrence "pimp" Howard were equally good. Although was it just me or did the end remind you of Robocop 2? (Grassy Noll theory)



After watching it I thought "man, that was really fun", and reminded me of an 80's movie. The movie was not tricked up with fancy camera moves and editing, it was a good old fashioned and classically crafted tale. And I think you have to give that credit to director Jon Favreau. His direction is restrained and focused. For instance if someone like say Michael Bay did this, you would never know what was happening during a fight. Favreau probably grew up watching Donner's Superman and old Episodes of the Hulk. This movie could have come out in the 70's and 80's. This is the first fully financed film from Marvel Studios. And I love the film universe they are currently creating with intersecting characters just like the comics.

The Blu-ray disc has a ton of special features and an almost feature length documentary on the making of the film. You can tell everyone wanted to make a great film and were very dedicated in doing so. Oh and check out this great bonus feature from the dvd courtesy of The Onion... It's funny as hell.

No comments: